Friday, May 04, 2012

Little Gems IX

Since I have been away for about 2 weeks, here is a bumper edition of Little Gems! Next week I will do a Eurovision special picking out the best, and more likely worst, of the great European TV event!

Now we can't deny we all wished we were at Coachella at some point the other week! It looked amazing and I got even more jealous when I saw this from Bon Iver playing my favourite song off their new album. It's potentially more haunting than the studio version.



I got sent this song by The Paper Kites by two separate people saying I would like it, and they were right! It pluckery guitar and gentle tones is right up my street and a perfect song for lying in the garden too :)



Erika Kelly actually sent me a message on facebook with a link to her facebook page and I was sold at "I am a self-taught harpist." She does covers and they more often than not sound more beautiful played on the harp than original and I still can't believe she does it all by ear. She's even producing an EP with some originals and she has just covered "The Key" by Kate Mcgill which I had on here a few weeks ago! Just wonderful!  For more info  check out her facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/erikakellymusic



Loving all things Scandinavian I started watching "The Bridge" which is a Swedish/Danish Crime drama about an investigation when a body is found in the middle of the Oresund Bridge which joins the two countries. Anyway, I fell in love with the opening theme and this is it by the Choir of Young Believers.




This song by Bat For Lashes is pretty old but my love for it was rekindled when it suddenly come on in a restaurant and rekindled my love for it.



I listen to German radio quite a bit to get some listening practice in but it also introduces me to some great songs, one of the best being this cover of 50 Cent's Ayo technology by Milow a Belgian singer songwriter. The video is pretty weird but I absolutely love this cover, better than the original in my opinion.



Lewis Watson is another singer who has become well known from YouTube and he will be a favourite with anyone who likes Ed Sheeran as he is definitely cut from the same cloth, be that a good thing or a bad thing.



This is Swedish Mads Langer (great name) with a cover of a song a bunch of us will recoginise from the 90's by Olive. This is another find from German radio, or maybe it was Norwegian I can't remember but the point is other European radio stations play lots of music from other countries unlike us who only seem to play American or British bands.


I am sure most of you know who We Are Scientists are or have at least head of them but I keep rediscovering this song and it always makes me want to go out and have a good time, unlike the typical "going out" songs, plus the video is pretty funny :)



I don't watch Greys Anatomy but I like pretty much every song off the soundtrack and one day I was looking at songs from it and there was a montage clip using this in the back ground. It's a gorgeous wee song by Andrew Belle and is actually used in the series as well.



Angus & Julia Stone as well known in the folky/acousticy world and here they have done a wonderful cover of "You're the one that I want" from Grease. It seems to totally change the song entirely giving it an almost different meaning altogether. Apparently this version is being used on an advert for Sky or something, but thanks to my friend Dian for passing on this one!



I thought I would finish on a song that pretty much explains how I feel about life most of the time but no more so than during exam time. I always want to fly away and leave, usually ending up in Vienna. Sometimes I genuinely think Billy Joel wrote this for me...

No comments: