Friday, March 16, 2012

Little Gems IV

Welsh singer-songwriter Kate McGill is another of my youtube finds and although she is 22 years old, her voice seems like that of someone 5 years younger, although strange it has a haunting quality. This song has some nice concepts in it when you listen to the lyrics and I am always a big fan of nice lyrics :)



Any fan of Mumford and Suns will like these two, or think they sound far too like them. Depends if you are pedantic like that or not. Husdon Taylor  or Harry and Alfie, I am not entirely sure which name they are going with right now, is made up of Alfie Hudson and Harry Taylor (see what they did there..) who will be sure to have all the folk-acoustic girls attention for years to come...



Liz Lawrence gives us a nice little song with a Ukelele, it's hard to believe her influences come from Punk Rock but it works! This should put a spring in your step just in time for the sun coming out :)



This girl sounds like she has time travelled from the 70's to give us a drop of husky voiced rock in these dark ages of electronic and RnB. Alice Gold sounds just like one of the people I would love to be, she has a lust for life; she bought a one way ticket to America and won a 1978 Winnebago in a poker game and spent the next six months carrying out the dream American road trip.



The Pierces reminds me of America's answer to First Aid Kit (from my first Little Gems) and it's hard to believe that these two sisters are in their mid thirties! They look amazing! Their 70's influence not only comes out of this video but also in their music with echoes of Joni Mitchell and Simon and Garfunkel.


I discovered this song after my last break-up and it was pretty fitting and led me to discover more from Daughter.  London based Elena Tonra, the voice of the band, produces wonderfully haunting lyrics to accompany a voice that silences a room.



I have been listening to a lot of Norwegian Radio lately to hlep practice with listening comprehension but serendipidously I have also come across some good wee songs, including White Foxes by Susanne Sundfør.




For the past while I have been wishing I grew up in the 70's with the relaxed atmosphere, cool clothes and fantastic music scene, especially as the busy qualms of modern daily life wear us down. I am sure people will say it was the same back then but I don't want to believe them. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac came out 35 years ago this year and I would do anything to have grown up in that era, suppose we have to make the kids think the same in 35 years time…





1 comment:

Fiona MacInnes said...

Enjoyed your selection- and hope time has helped re Daughter